Monica Place Waterloo offers an On-Site School Program in partnership with the Waterloo Region District School Board. This program encourages young women who are pregnant or parenting to complete secondary school credits in a safe and supportive environment. Free nursery services are provided for students.
You do not have to live at Monica Place Waterloo or Cambridge to be part of our school program.
Through our schooling program, young women are able to earn compulsory and elective secondary school credits from grades 9 to 12. Individualised programs of study allow the students to work independently in different courses and at various levels to meet their needs and future goals. Each student is on an individualised and flexible program with respect to academics, length of stay in the program and transition options.We have room for 20 students in our program.
The teachers are knowledgeable about the unique needs of young parents. Additionally, young parents attend weekly prenatal programs, parenting programs, and life skills programs. They can also access a variety of services and supports including:
- Individual and family counselling
- One-on-one parenting support
- Community resources, such as Ontario Works and Learning Earning and Parenting (LEAP)
- Substance use counselling
- Health care professionals
Our program provides:
- Individual programs of study revised to accommodate varying levels of concentration, self-discipline, learning difficulties and well-being to meet the student’s needs and future goals
- The opportunity to receive secondary school credits from grades 9 to 12
- Parenting Class
- Life Skills program
- Healthy Active Living